Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Second brew fermenting!

So a couple of days ago, I made a second beer brew, this time a Dutch Lager. Apparently, lagers are more complex to brew, which is one of the reasons we decided on a porter as our first batch, just to get into the swing of things (I also love porters, not gonna lie).

For the lager, I dry-pitched the yeast at 24C. For the first couple of hours there was no sign of fermenting and I thought I'd killed all the yeast babies (even though the directions say pitch the yeast between 18-30C). Shit.

But when I went to check on it the next morning, the airlock was bubbling away, so it all seems to be going according to plan!

The Dutch Lager recipe doesn't specifically call for adding additional hops, so I'm not quite sure whether I want to add hops or not. I quite like a hoppy beer, but I'll do a bit more research first and see what I come up with.

No comments: